RE: Lot rot (brake systems) and wheel bearing shims.

To: spritenut@Exit109.com
Subject: RE: Lot rot (brake systems) and wheel bearing shims.
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:17:30 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, Daniel1312@aol.com, PAsgeirsson@compuserve.com, dwramsey@worldnet.att.net, DLancer7676@cs.com, ckotting@core.com
Frank,
I too had a soft pedal that required two pumps... no matter how many times I
bleed the system, rebuilt the MC and all the wheel cylinders with Lockheed
OEM parts/seals. You may recall me asking for help.
My problem was pitting in the MC bore... "Gee it felt smooth when I stuck my
finger in it", but inspection with a flex light sure proved me wrong. After
I sent it out and had Joe at "Sierra Specialty Automotive" in Quincy CA. put
a brass sleeve in it... my pedal was hard as a rock for the six months I
drove it till it was parked for the overhaul.

And regarding my question about "Where to find" these wheel bearing spacer
shims (Chris, Daniel, Paul, Dave, David and Crash)... Have a little patience
and Get off my back!
I know how to use the archive listings and I already made my decision on
what to do, I was merely looking for a source of the parts which I didn't
find in the archives. Just because you're setting your cars up a different
way doesn't mean it's the only way. I know that I don't have to use the
bearing spacer with the tapered roller bearing, but I was advised to by 3 or
4 H & F production racers and Mini Mania (not that I think they are always
correct either) because I need the extra support because I'm running a 7"
wheel w/ a 50 series tire.
Taking every advantage to keep my stub axels from breaking,
-Drew

 << I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but where can I get shims to
fit
  the wheel bearing in the front hubs?
  Even though I'm converting to roller bearing... I was advised (for added
  strength and support) to continue using the factory center spacer, between
  the inner and outer bearings.
  Thanks,
  -Drew in San Jose  >>