Re: Petrol problems in Europe

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Petrol problems in Europe
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 18:31:39 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
from CNN:

Fuel protests: UK government gets the blame

Taking time out in the petrol queues
September 12, 2000
Web posted at: 7:37 PM EDT (2337 GMT)

By Ann Busby, CNN.com writer

LONDON, England -- The motorists cramped in their cars in the long queues
outside UK petrol stations on Tuesday may have been frustrated, but most were
agreed that the inconvenience was a price worth paying.

For as fuel protests continued across Europe, there was general agreement in
Britain -- where the demonstrations have hit hardest -- that the disruption was
not the fault of the hauliers and farmers blockading oil depots.

Tempers may have been running high as fuel supplies ran low or dried up
altogether, but the anger of motorists was aimed at the government and its high
fuel taxes.

"Motorists in this country are being ripped off and I agree with what the
protesters are saying even though what they're doing affects me," Jonathan
Braimah told CNN.com, after he visited 15 petrol stations in London in an
unsuccessful bid to fill up his car.

"People understand that the government needs to raise money to fund schools and
hospitals but I think they'd prefer to pay a penny more in income tax -- that's
more honest at least than taking more and more from drivers."

   MESSAGE BOARD
Inside the United Kingdom

   ALSO
Blair moves to end growing UK fuel crisis

Alternative power sources: pros and cons

Fuel protests: Head to head debate

Fuel crisis could endanger life: NHS

Stalemate amid Belgian fuel protests

Oil prices drop

Clinton says watching oil market 'very closely'

It is a feeling echoed around the country.

"The protest causes major disruption, which I disagree with, but overall I
agree with the protesters," one disgruntled driver in Scotland told the BBC.

Beryl Rhodes, from the northern English town of Rotherham said: "It's worrying
because lack of fuel affects so many other things -- emergency services,
supplies of food -- but petrol is just too expensive in this country and people
sympathise with the demonstrators."

One woman told CNN: "I think it's great. It's time British people stood up for
themselves."

Words like "horrendous", "scandalous" and "ridiculous" are frequently used to
describe the price of fuel in the UK, which is the highest in Europe.

And the protesters, angry at UK Prime Minister Tony Blair's refusal to follow
the French government in making concessions, are confident they have the
support of the public.

There is widespread support for the blockades
"Tony Blair has made a gross mistake and has grossly underestimated the will of
the country," said Brynle Williams, a spokesman for protesting farmers and
truckers.

Certainly members of the public were showing their support for demonstrators
outside BP Amoco's gigantic refinery at Grangemouth, on the Firth of Forth in
Scotland.

As passing drivers honked their support, local people handed out mugs of
vegetable soup to guard against the chilly autumn day.

"It's a load of rubbish. We'll strangle London… We will bring it to its knees,"
he said outside the Woodford oil terminal near the north-western city
Manchester, where he was one of around 50 people setting up camp for the night.

Some motorists are less certain of the demonstrators' determination.

"I suspect it'll blow over soon because people in this country are fickle.
Those taking the action will abandon their principles once their personal lives
become inconvenienced," Joanne Walker, from Manchester, told CNN.com.

Her friend Fiona Wall is hoping that is the case. She is getting married in
Manchester on Saturday. Her mother and siblings live in Newcastle, in the
north-east, more than 230 km (144 miles) away.

Beating the blockades in Belgium: One man's solution
"I'm getting increasingly worried that they won't be able to make it to my
wedding," she said.

Tony Blair's hard line has won support from environmentalists.

"Greenpeace agrees with the government - it is absolutely right not to reduce
fuel taxes," said Stephen Tindale, a British spokesman for the environmental
group.

But the Prime Minister may be mistaken if he believes, as he said on Tuesday,
that the British people understand the government cannot change policy in
response to illegal blockades.

In the words of motorist Colin Spriggs: "Tony Blair says he's adamant that he's
not going move on this issue but I think he better had or he could well find
himself moving in the next general election."

Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:
> What's going on over there?  Is there a shortage, or are protesters just
blocking delivery?  How are you getting about?  Is the air pollution getting
better now that nobody can drive?  Is this problem a result of the last list
thread on petrol prices in the UK?

Just curious to hear more from our friends across the pond.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport