Re: Petrol problems in Europe

To: froggi@cdsnet.net, mgraziano@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Petrol problems in Europe
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:14:59 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 9/13/00 8:04:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
froggi@cdsnet.net writes:

<< At least "they" are doing something. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I agree, but remember, they (in the UK) are paying about $5.70 per gallon
(all conversion factors courtesy of some web site).  Even in the worst case
in the USA, we are still paying less than $2.00, and around the Philly area
prices are about $1.60 for 87 octane.  That's a big difference, especially
considering that the UK is a big producer of oil, so their cost is probably
fairly low to produce petrol, and all that extra is taxes.

I say, raise the taxes on tobacco and alcohol to pay for whatever they have
to pay for.  It's better to have higher "sin" taxes than high taxes on petrol
that people need for daily life.

Y'know, if my local township police would put a cop on the corner at my
apartment, they could pay for a new police car in no time, just by giving
tickets to everybody who goes thru the traffic light when it's red!  We don't
need higher taxes, we need politicians that have brains!

(Just my 2 pence.  YMMV)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget