Machine Shop Blues \ Engine buildup

To: "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Machine Shop Blues \ Engine buildup
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 14:47:51 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Well, it now looks like there is no way I am going to make the Woodley Park
show like I did last year. No way the sprite is going to be road ready until
at least Mid October. Boy do I pick the worst time for a rebuild. I think
there is a classic car show within 100 miles of home every Saturday & Sunday
until October.

Machine shop called... its not good. Cracked crank, warped block deck, and a
rod is also looking beat up and he was surprised that no rod knock was
present. He did say it looked original though, which is a good thing. I am
going to cruise down there and take some pictures just to satisfy my
curiosity.

I have another 1275 sitting in my driveway that looks like I will have to
cannibalize. ("new" crank is around $600 last I checked)

I have also "settled" on a Kent 266 cam, porting the head slightly, modify
my carbs per Vizard, APT Intake Manifold, K&Ns, new clutch while I'm at it,
and milling the head slightly to run on premium. Nothing outrageous, just a
little power boost. Also cylinders are out of round, therefore pistons will
be needed, after a few problems on the list, I don't think I will go for a
1380cc engine. The machine shop guy also didn't recommend it. Probably just
bore the cylinders out 20 thousandths no more.
(60 thou is what gives a 1380cc I think.)

Suggestions and comments are always welcome... I will still try to make the
car shows, just minus the British escort. I will definitely make the Santa
Monica battle of Britain car and plane show October 1st I belive. Those WWII
fighters are impressive to say the least.

- Toby

toby@intri-plex.com
tobyatwater@home.com

69 Midget