Re: Camshafts

To: "Charley & Peggy Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com>, "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Camshafts
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 13:16:57 -0400
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Well between Charley and Charles, I get the point of why there are
bearings. But I have to agree with Charley. If there is no wear in the
journals, then why bother. On the engine I am rebuilding the cam journals
look very good. It was the lobe that is worn. Now I just got off the
phone with TSI (Ted Schumacher's outfit) and while they do not have a
1500 cam in stock :-( the do not recommend boring for bearings, unless
going for a full race spec, or if there is evidence of excessive wear in
the journal area.

Larry

At this exact moment in time 10/8/00 10:45 PM, ccrobins@ktc.com made the
profound statement:

>Larry, et al,
>
>  Hmm,  I think thing need to be put into perspective here.  Most
>engines have separate "cam bearings" (sleeves) installed into the block
>for the cam to spin within.  Some don't.  The Spridget 1500CC engine is
>a case in point; its cam spins within machined bores in the block.  If
>the cam bores in the block get worn out of tolerance, the oil pressure
>could indeed suffer.  Also, if the bores wear too much, the cam will
>flex under the valve spring pressure.  The cam can break because of
>this, but the most frequent sign of this is that the valve lash won't be
>constant.  I had a Fiat 128 Spyder DOHC engine that manifested worn cam
>bores in this way.  The fix is, reputedly, to bore out the cam bores for
>bearings and run an XXX cam.  Take your pick; I've been told of several
>different to use.
>
>  My thought is that I'd have to see signs of real probs in the cam
>bearing area before I'd bother.  By signs, I mean a real good going-over
>of the cam  bearing journals on the cam for signs of loss of alignment,
>out-of-round, etc.
>
>  Hope this clears it up a bit,
>

>  CR

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.