Tool choice

To: ccrobins@ktc.com, JustBrits@aol.com
Subject: Tool choice
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 17:52:23 EDT
Cc: bmantz@infi.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Well the torque wrench was one of my very early purchases, gets little use
and works ok.  The wrenches that were much later purchases saw a lot of use,
had flakey chrome, opened ends and went out with the rubbish as each one was
replaced by a Snap-on.

The compression tester was in 3 parts:  the dial and a lead, the re-set lead
section and an alternative lead section.  Only the re-set is bust but because
I cannot contact the manufacturer (no address/brand details) I cannot get a
spare part.  With the Snap-On stuff I can all types of itty-bitty spares like
a clip for the drawer runner on my roll cab.

SO, maybe the craftsman stuff is cheaper for the same quality as Snap-On - as
far as I know, it is not obviously available here in the UK.  Britool stuff
is English and quite good but is not as good as the Snap-On.  What else am I
meant to buy?  In destructive tool testing a british car magazine found that
Snap-On came out way ahead of every other brand of spanner they tested
(Craftsman were not tested).

I'm not making a pitch for Snap-On because they neither pay me or give me
free tools just relating my experience that you get what you pay for.

I'm not saying every purchase should be Snap-On - just the stuff that is
going to see a lot of hard or regular use or where accuracy is important.

1312

In a message dated 15/10/00 22:33:05 GMT Daylight Time, ccrobins@ktc.com