Re: Valve seals

To: David McCartney <yup1275@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Valve seals
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 20:03:17 -0400
Cc: Robert Weeks <robert@woozy.com>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
David McCartney wrote:

> Hey Robert. If you want, you can pull the valve springs with the head in
> the car. Pull the plugs and fill one cyl at a time with rope - we used to
> have a nice, smooth-sided rope available - maybe you have to use nylon
> now. Then carefully turn the engine over until the rope is snugly filling
> the cyl and supporting the valve head. Now you can ever-so-cleverly remove
> the collet and keepers and springs and slip on a seal.
>
> Okay - it's wierd science and old as hell, but it works.  I wonder if I'll
> get flamed for this heresy?

  That's still a common and accepted way of doing the job.

  If you have an air compressor, you can buy a tool that
screws into the cylinder hole and takes an air line, and uses
the compressed air to keep the valve up.

  It's a lot faster to use than rope, but the rope is
still a good trick if you want to take the spring off
overnight or something to measure or get a replacement. Otherwise
a power outage on the compressor overnight could cost
you a head-pull!

  (but the compressor is sure faster when doing
work on more than one valve)

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca