Re: Lots of dumb questions

To: Bill Mantz <bmantz@infi.net>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lots of dumb questions
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 17:54:48 -0700
Hi Bill,

> 1. I am concerned with installaing the new cam, pistons, etc, and
> letting the engine sit until Dec. 1 before I crank it up to distribute
> oil. Should I be?

Use assembly lube on everything that will wear on each other, you can wipe
down the block outside and deck with engine oil and cover it up with a trash
bag or so to keep dust off.

I did it this way and left it for a long time.  I oiled the block, then when
I was done, I sprayed it down with brake cleaner and painted the block.  A
better way may be to paint the block before you assemble it.

> 2. Although I am coating everything with oil, when I was growing up the
> practice was to mix STP with the oil you used for coating to ensure good
> lube at startup. Good idea or bad?

Assembly lube is better.

> 3. I have generally used Castrol 20W50 in my LBC's.

Good choice.

http://www.mirafiori.com/~ulix/               '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9