Re: Lots of dumb questions

To: bmantz@infi.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lots of dumb questions
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 22:33:03 EDT
In a message dated 10/20/2000 8:19:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bmantz@infi.net writes:

<<  I am concerned with installaing the new cam, pistons, etc, and
 letting the engine sit until Dec. 1 before I crank it up to distribute
 oil. Should I be?
 2. Although I am coating everything with oil, when I was growing up the
 practice was to mix STP with the oil you used for coating to ensure good
 lube at startup. Good idea or bad? >>

Bill:

Two things come to mind that might help. First, and this might send some
scurrying to the books, an auto mechanics instructor told me that you should
clean the new cam very thoroughly, not in  any form of solvent, but with
detergent and water.  Rinse and dry well of course.  This is because the
metal (according to him) is porous and will absorb the solvent.

During my internal engine work, I like a half and half mixture of STP and
Castrol.  It is thick enough to stick and slick enough to slide.   I use it
on bearings as well.  As far as the engine sitting, I sure hope its ok,
because I finished my engine about 3 years ago and it has been sitting
waiting for me to come up with something to put it in so it can roar to life.

--David C.