Re: Lots of dumb questions

To: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: Lots of dumb questions
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 16:55:28 -0400
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Hi guys,

For long time after rebuild using assembly lube and motor oil on bores, try
this!!  I did a total rebuild on a 2" 1098 for a customer in 1979.  Two
years ago (1998!) I got a call from a new customer describing the engine,
It was the same one!!  He had installed it and started it up and ran great.
 I stopped by his place to see it and sure enough it ran great!!  This
engine was easy to identify as the first customer had me paint it Parrot
Green with a copper plated valve cover.  How many of those have you seen?

Paul A

FROM:   Bryan Vandiver, INTERNET:Bryan.Vandiver at Eng.Sun.COM
TO:     Bill Mantz, INTERNET:bmantz@infi.net
        Spridgets, INTERNET:spridgets@autox.team.net
DATE:   10/20/00 8:53 PM

Re:     Re: Lots of dumb questions

Bill,

Just buy some 'assembly lube' and put a nice coating on all the 'critical
areas
during assembly. Be sure and coat each lobe on the new cam, and you should
be
using 'new' lifters (old pushrods OK). If you use the assembly lube, it
doesn't
run off like oil would, and you can let the engine sit for quite a while
before
starting it up (at least several months).

Regards - Bryan