RE: Engine and Transmission

To: "'Trevor Boicey'" <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: RE: Engine and Transmission
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:58:20 -0600
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Trevor ,
With all due respect I would like to share a different view. First let me
say that if the car is an unmolested
original example that has never been in a significant shunt , has little or
no rust and is basically a time capsule.
Then I completely agree with you. It would be a crime to modify a car like
this.  On the other end of the spectrum
is my car. It is missing it's original engine and transmission and
suspension and interior. Three out of four wings had
been heavily dented and filled with massive amounts of Bondo. On the plus
side the car's suspension mounting points
are true, and the car has almost no rust. I have replaced the three wings,
both "A" posts , one "B" post , one sill , and
a bunch of other mangled flat sheet metal parts. These repairs have been
carried out to the highest standards that I can
perform. I have used some lead and a very small amount of plastic on this
car. I have been collecting all of the correct
missing parts that give these cars so much of their charm. Like original
seats , uncut dash , original gauges , steering
wheel, all of the original Bakelite switches and controls. I've even
acquired a radiator with perfect sheet metal that needs
re-coring. (Didn't I get that from you ?) It could have ended up in the
scrap heap. I also bought a copy of the originality
standards , so that when I put the whole thing together it will look correct
(mostly). But no matter what I do... even if I find
rubber floor mats and ribbed door liners, it wont be an original car. In the
40 some odd years since these cars were first
produced a lot of development has gone in to them. Some of it has been very
successful. Are there any list members out there with
Datsun 5 speeds or 1275's in their Bugeyes? Or alternators or disk brakes or
Webers ???...Do you see what I mean ? So I am NOT
sorry for putting all of the above and Polly bushings and a front sway bar
and a rear panhard rod and leather interior and Wilton
carpet into my Sprite. My Sprite will never be in the same class as "Old
Grey" But it will have class and be a kick in the Ass.
My .02 cents
                   Mark Hanna
                   AN5