Re: Engine and Transmission

To: jaybird@isoc.net, DLancer7676@cs.com, rcbrown@lucent.com, ryan_marro@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Engine and Transmission
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:08:43 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 25/10/00 00:55:21 GMT Daylight Time, jaybird@isoc.net
writes:

One of the first things I ask myself about any kind of parts swap is not is
this engine a Japanesese engine (that is the 2nd question) but how much does
it weigh?

The Spridget is a fairly light car and increases in weight can effect it
adversely - hence the K-Series engine swap is Ok in my book because it is an
aluminium alloy engine.  Five speed swaps are always heavier than the stock
box but give a comfort/pleasure/performance increase greater than the losses
suffered by a weight increase.

Generally an auto box is on the heavy and bulky side and in any event how
easy will it be to hang a suitable torque converter on the back of the crank
of any given engine in question - they are usually specifically designed.

1312

<< Dave,
    TH200's were in about any RWD GM from 77' to 81'. Trans Ams, Camaros,
Novas
 and any of the variants. They are 3-spd automatics and were real junk when
 they came out. That, in my opinion, would take the fun out of a Spridget.
 But, maybe not for some people!
 Jaybird