Re: Cams, WAS: Best place for parts

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: Cams, WAS: Best place for parts
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:40:19 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sorry.... too flippant (a little is OK?)...  If the valve doesn't close
quickly enough, there will be bendage at impact with the piston. Ask Ron
Soave.
         There are far more learned folks on this list, but, I'll comment
anyway. At high RPMs it starts to feel and sound "fluttery".. sort of like
the valves are not closing all the way, and they aren't, at least fast enough.
         Ron's experience was that the valves bent and later couldn't
close. A compression test later he thought he had MAJOR problems. Luckily
it was only bending. Had he driven extensively he'd likely have burned
valves and seats, moving guides, and who knows what. Heavier springs close
the valves more quickly, and keep them shut for the proper duration.
         That's it. That's all I think I know.
         Glad the rotor works.... you know we could get you a rev-limiter.
         Peter