Re: What is a Vega (No LBC)

To: Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: What is a Vega (No LBC)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 06:12:53 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello Daniel1312,

              the Vega was released in the early 1970's 71 i think,
              and was from GM badged a chevrolet. it was to be (from
              their adds) their version of the VW, to be gradually
              improved, year by year by year until .... well the adds
              said that the 71 would look like the 72, the 72 like the
              73.. .up unitl 75.... at least long enough for them to
              amortize the cost of the manufacturing equipment...
              it was small, light, ... an "import fighter".. they had
              plans to but a rotary engine in it while it was being
              developed.. (the car that is, not the engine, which GM
              NEVER did use).. but they turned instead to an all
              aluminum design, without iron sleeves... they were
              trying to use a special "self lubricating" allow.. but
              they never did solve the problems inherent in such an
              engine design.. thus the cars burned out engines,
              dripped oil, and got a very very bad reputation... ..

              GM also let Cosworth develop a set of heads ... now
              exact numbers escape me.. but somewhere in this general
              area... the stock engine at around 90-95 hp.... the
              "developmental" cosworth... had around 200!!!..... but
              by the time they put all the ever increasing pollution
              equipment on the head, the final release version of the
              "cosworth vega" had only about 125 hp... at a huge
              something like $3000 premium... on a car that sold for
              around $4000..... again... the numbers are not exact...
              only ballpark figures from my memory... someone on the
              list may correct them.....

Friday, October 27, 2000, 1:43:08 AM, you wrote:

Dac> Can someone explain what a Vega is?  Was a Ford, GM or Chebbie product?
Was

--
Best regards,
 Bill