Re: Sleeving the block on a 1380?

To: "Ulix Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sleeving the block on a 1380?
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 23:14:49 -0000
ulix,
i would not accept having my piston skirts knurled!   it is a short term fix
for a long term problem.  the knurling will effectivly raise metal up and
reduce the piston to cylinder wall clearance.  but it is a false economy
repair.  the amount of metal that knurling raises is in no way as much as if
the piston were the correct size for the bore.  so technically you do have a
piston that will fit a specific bore but you now have a reduced area of
contact or suport against the bore.  this repair, though it will work
initially will have a short term life compared to the correct piston in the
correct bore.   also, the cross hatch pattern that is scored into a surface
to raise metal leaves a pattern of deep scored marks....right?  so if you
really got on the car frequently and really enjoyed the extra ponies it
creats.............what are the chances that the wonderfull cross hatch
pattern on the piston skirt could result in a catastrophic failure?   the
cross hatch pattern offers the piston skirt an area where it can develop a
crack leading to seperation and catastrophic failure.    in adition, you
still are confronted with a piston that is too large for the bore up at the
top end too!  excessive carbon build up above top ring could lead to a whole
'nuther boat load of discussion on skuffing and wear on the bore in a long
term aplication.
sleeving is a whole 'nuther thing to consider and the biggest problem is
remaining cylinder wall  and it's ability to suport the sleeve after
instalation.    that is up to a competent machinist to determine, as i an
unfamiliar with what formula will work for wall thickness of a sleeve and
how much metal must be present to suport the sleve after machining block to
accept a sleeve.

just a few thoughts on the subject?
chuck