Re: Sleeving the block on a 1380?

To: "Ulix Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Sleeving the block on a 1380?
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:30:01 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Knurling is very useful to take up a thou or two, ie a very minor
wear deviation from factory specs, and only when everything else
in the bore and on the piston is in perfect order, ie you are not
reboring, just honing. You are in fact slightly expanding a close
to stock aluminum piston to take up a bit of cylinder wear,
(mainly caused BTW by the rings).

Usually, done only on the thrust side, where the contact pressure
is less. Supposedly knurling holds oil better and helps lubricate
that non thrust surface.

Light knurling is a metal deformation process, and like forging
and peening does not necessarily weaken metallurgical
characteristics. Please note, this is only a thou or two, you can
barely feel it - very unlike the knurling you see on a hammer
handle.

Each piston knurled must be clearance matched to its own bore.

You really got to have a good reason to this and then only by a
machinist craftsman who knows what he is doing.

I remanufactured an 18,000 mile Etype engine and did not have to
go oversize by knurling. 10 years ago and still runs like new.

Mike L., P. Eng.
60A,67E,59Bug