Re: Cams

To: <Daniel1312@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cams
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:30:15 -0800
Daniel,

here is Seattle, if I was to commute by car, I would sit still for about 50%
of the time, do stop and go for another 30% and go annoyingly slow for the
remaining 20%.
An idle at 1500rpm that still isn't all that smooth is no fun under those
circumstances.

When I started building my motor (over 2 years ago), the Sprite was my only
car and I wanted it to be everything to me, including a hot sportscar.  In
the meantime, I have found a great example of my other favorite car (I have
owned three of each), a '74 X1/9 which, at least to me, lends itself better
to fulfilling the role of the hopped up sportscar.  Now I want the Sprite to
be the car for around town, for nice cruises along the coast, for car club
drives (that are usually way too slow).  That is not saying that I would put
the suspension back to stock or that I don't want the overbored motor
anymore, but if I have two cars, why not make them different in purpose and
each one less of a compromise?

Also, we have gone over this before, the "hotter" the performance part, the
more care must be taken in setting it up, the more important it is that the
rest of the engine matches the part installed.  Many are not prepared to get
into matching the length of the ram pipe to the duration of the cam
<dramatization>, etc. and just want a reasonable improvement with little
work required and few accompanying disadvantages.  Personally, I like to
keep my engine compartment completely stock looking (for various reasons)
and don't have the money for an APT head, LCB and Maniflow exhaust, high
lift roller rockers, etc.

I think enthusiasts over here who are as serious about their engines as you
are, are using as hot a cam as the rest of the world. :-)

Ulix

--
http://www.mirafiori.com/~ulix/               '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9