Re: White smoke on startup

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@avaya.com>
Subject: Re: White smoke on startup
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:16:22 -0500
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
"William M. Gilroy" wrote:

> My 77 Midget will produce clouds of white smoke out the tail pipe
> on startup.  This happens only when the car has not been run for
> over two weeks.

Bill

First is it just steam from a cold engine/hot exhaust?
Or does it smell like coolant? Kind of sweet.
Or is it oil?

If it is just steam vapor, don't worry about it as it is normal.
If it's coolant, you have a minor leak in the engine somewhere. Most
likely the head gasket.
If it is oil, try this. After running it a bit, remove the valve cover.
If you see oil laying in there, try running a heavy wire down the oil
drain ports. No oil should stand on the top of the head, it should drain
down quickly.
I had an old Ford that only smoked on start up, an old timer told me
this trick and it stopped smoking once I cleaned the oil drains.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ