Re: Mods to Midgets

To: <Tomsaudi@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mods to Midgets
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 08:22:10 -0500
I just put the Monza exhaust in my '78 but I made the mistake of putting in
straight pipe before it.  TOO LOUD!!!

I still need to get the car back to the exhaust place to weld in a 'bullet'
muffler to quiet it down....

I also was not satisfied with the mounting on the Monza, it took much more
fiddling with than I would have expected for a performance muffler.  If I was
to do it again, I would probably just take it to a good performance shop and
let them know what I wanted.

My performance mods (other than the Monza)
- SU carbs, UK spec emissions
- Replace (empty) catalytic with straight pipe
- Clean up and relieve (open up by grinding) stock exhaust manifold (I'll go to
the 4:2:1 header eventually which is what I should have done instead of the
Monza).
- Install O2 sensor in straight pipe for better tuning,

Christian Stanton
'78 Midget
'74 Sonett
'87 900T

>>> <Tomsaudi@aol.com> 11/28/00 03:01AM >>>
Here in Connecticut, the leaves have all fallen, and the weather is turning
colder. On my To Do list is to put the top up on the Midget, take her out for
one last run, fill up the gas tank, and resign myself to pull her out of the
garage once a week to start her up.  If I regret anything this past season,
it is that I did not enjoy driving her as often as I should have. I confess
that getting stranded 60 miles from home in early June shook my confidence in
her, maybe more than it should have.

Now that I'm in my MG "downtime", I'm free to wonder about what I want to do
with my Midget. First thoughts include installing that awesome four pipe
Monza exhaust I see advertised. Anyone here ever done this? Does it make the
car sound any better? I would also, at some point, like to put in a nice
mahogany steeering wheel . To the more sports minded, this may sound stupid,
but I am intrigued with the trunk carpeting kit offered by Victoria British.
Has anyone here done this installation?

Apart from that, I guess I'm at a loss as to what my possibilities are to
improve the car's performance. It's a 78, so it has the 1500cc motor. It
already has a Weber carb. Has anyone else out there done anything else to
tweak their motors without compromising the durability of the engine? I'm not
particularly interested in any suspension mods, as I don't want to make the
ride any harsher than it already is (I still want my wife to enjoy riding in
the car with me).

Regards,
Tom
78 Midget