Re: single SU

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: single SU
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:37:32 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Jeff Boatright wrote:

> Spridgeteers,
>
> It's too quiet on the list! Here's an old chestnut of a question, but
> it was never really hashed out:
>
> Vizard claims that using a single 1.5" SU  or 1.75" SU vs the
> standard dual 1.25" SUs can have some advantages. What are the
> experiences of the list?

Jeff,

I have a 77 Midget with a ZS carb.  I was thinking of converting to a
single HS6. There is a place in the US (Merryman) who can convert my
current intake manifold and supply a carb.  The cost with a machined
stack is about $325 USD (I think, it has been a while).  The reason
for a single carb conversion is that my engine is bone stock and I don't
plan to rebuild it soon.  So a single carb conversions would be cheaper
and the performance difference between a single carb and dual carbs
would
not be that great (if at all) given a stock engine.  That is my
thinking.
I would welcome any opinions that are different either in performance or
in cost.

One other thing that I am not sure about is which carb is which.  I see
reference to 1.25" and 1.75". I understand that is the throat diameter.
But how does that fit together with things like HS6, HIF6, HIF44, HS2.
Anyone care to point me to a list of what is what.

Thanks,

Gilroy
77 Midget
90 Shar-Pei

Hi Bill,

Merryman modifications are in the USA on (717) 633-6083 and do the
single HS6
carb conversion using the 1500 Stromberg single carb manifold.  Their
engineering is great but they need to get e-mail at least!!  They can
set the
carb for stock or slightly tuned (eg if you run a K&N airfilter on the
carb
you will get more power still and need a richer needle).  I think that
this
conversion wipes the floor with any DGV carb conversion, at a whole lot
cheaper.

I rang Jack Merryman yesterday to tell him about the carbs so if you buy
the
conversion from him I guess it will be simpler for him to supply a new
carb
as well (eg if he buys bulk his shipping costs will be a lot cheaper).

Obviously a UK Spec twin HS4 or Weber DCOE conversion will produce more
power
than the single HS6 but on a stock engine the difference isn't going to
be
great while the price is.

If you speak to Jack Merryman tell him he really ought to get on e-mail.

Daniel