Re: 1500 Midget and twin HS2 carb setup

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Subject: Re: 1500 Midget and twin HS2 carb setup
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 22:29:41 -0500
Cc: DLancer7676@cs.com, Daniel1312@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Nolan Penney wrote:
> Remember something though about SU's and the 1500.  The SU flows quite
> freely, up to the full open throttle position.  To put it losely, at half
> throttle, there isn't diddly difference between the two.

  At half throttle? That's not a meaningful data point.

  If you are part throttle, you aren't caring about
performance. The goal of the throttle is specifically to
impede air flow, that's what it's there for. If you
are intentionally impeding air flow by not opening
the throttle, you might as well leave the ZS on.

  If you want to improve "part throttle" performance,
the easiest thing to do is just change your throttle
cam so that "pedal 50% down" is "throttle 80% open".

  Car manufacturers do it all the time to make
cars seem peppier!

> So the larger HS4's
> will allow the 1500 to rev higher then the HS2's would.

  That's not true really, even with the ZS you can
redline the car easily.

  A more accurate but similar statement is that the
HS4s will accelerate much faster at high revs than
the HS2s or the ZS.

  So, cruising along the highway at 3500rpm, put the
pedal down to pass. That's where the gains are, because
the smaller carbs are getting a little out of breath.

> Is this a good
> thing?  Maybe not.  After all, the 1500 is just a stroked out 1300; hence
> it self destructs more readily when over-reved.

  Ok Nolan, we know you like your HS2s, but let's stop
grabbing the straws, ok. If you don't want to rev your
1500, why not put a nice ZS on there. ;>

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca