Re: More troubles (clutch)

Subject: Re: More troubles (clutch)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:00:08 -0500
Cc: "'Frank Clarici'" <spritenut@Exit109.com>, "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Toby Atwater wrote:

> The only "logical" idea is that it must be heat related. Have you tried
> doing the same test with the engine running but not rolling? I would
> manouver around a parking lot to see if the clutch "lasts longer" rather
> than just driving around. That's about all I can think of. maybe some small
> crack or something expanding as it heats up letting air in. Wild shot, but
> you never know.

Or it could be vibration related.  The tranny would have just a bit
of torque roll.  I wonder if it would shift longer if you just got
it up to speed and stayed there, sort of like a long run down 37,
ignoring the lights.  Or run the car for 30 minutes in the drive way
and see how the clutch functions.  Not sure what you would learn from
this.

If something is going to let air into the systems will it also let fluid
out?  I am thinking (now this gets dangerous) the pipe between the
master and slave cylinder is always under a positive pressure. Either the
master is pushing fluid or the slave is pushing it back.  For air to
enter you would need a negative pressure so the air could be suck into
the system.  Is there any validity to this idea?  Just thinking out loud.

Gilroy