Re: Metro Cylinderhead, any use?

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <midgetspriteclub@listbot.com>
Subject: Re: Metro Cylinderhead, any use?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:45:17 -0000
From Arnold Herrmann <a.herrmann at bellherrmann.nl>
> I have a AH 1968, Judson Supercharged. Most probably I have to pull the
cyl
> head, because of a leaking gasket. I wonder if the Metro head is of any
use
> to swap to unleaded fuel and improve performance?
>
> Is it any better to seek for the MG Metro head instead, or the Metro
Turbo?
> Are there any differences and / or experiences?
>
> Regards
> Arnold Herrmann (Holland, Europe)

Metro 1275 head is perfect for the Midget.  Looks slightly different in the
way it is cast, but is nearly an identical head.  Drill and tap a thread
into the front of the head for the small pipe that carries the water to the
top of the pump.  Job finished.

MG Metro has 1.4 inch inlet valves, the larger size, as used on the Mini
Cooper S.  Better!!  Cannot imagine why more people don't use them.
Metro Turbo uses fat exhaust valves and thick metal round the guides.
Conducts a lot of heat away from the exhaust valves but is poor on flowing
air.  Useful if you have a problem with the Judson burning the exhaust
valves out.  Thicker base between the gasket and the water helps to prevent
the gasket leaking.  I'm told the water flow is much improved too.  Ask
Daniel 1312/Dave O'Neil etc for confirmation.  Hard to find them.  I only
have one left.  I am still waiting for an Alloy cylinderhead I bought from
the US.  6 months and still not here.

Rob
Wales