Re: Silicone Brake fluid users

To: "Swift Justice" <samesq@pacbell.net>, "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Silicone Brake fluid users
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 18:36:58 -0000
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
well gee then why does my bugeye still not leak after 11 years of silicone
fluid?   it certainly does not have a mechanical switch.  so what's the
deal?  my 1960 saab uses a bunch of lockheed stuff on it too!  same switch,
going on it's first year of silicone.  my 1967 h-modified sports racer is
enjoying it's 4th year or restoration and uses a mixture of girling and
lockheed stuff and also uses a hydraulic switch...............and no leak on
that too.  now the '67 impala has been on the road and winning shows now for
6 years with siliconefluid.  now that one has a mechanical switch.  and the
56 chevy belair 2dr hard top(the restored 72 midget and the 70 ss 454
montecarlo had alcohol based fluid in them, and yes she got them too!) my ex
wife won as a consolation prize for 10 years of fun and games is still
enjoying an intact brake hydraulic system (complete with a bendix treadle
vac power brake system) and that is 17 years ago.  but as withthe impala it
has a mechanical switch too.   solike what's the beef withsilicone and non
silicone switches in hydraulic switches?  i'm using all o.e.m. switches, no
aftermarket switches.   they are all original switches.  are they supposed
to leak?  or is it a problem with aftermarket switches?  i have done a few
conversions from alcohol based fluid to silicone and all ofthem were using
hydraulic switches and they do not leak either?   i am not understanding
this very well?   is it that the new switches are depending upon a certain
amount of swelling in their seal that alcohol based fluid provides to make
them function properly?  it seems to me that a specific switch is designed
to acomodate a specific range of pressure and that there is a safety margin
built in to allow for a proper seal beyond the system's limit of high
pressure.  if the switch does not seal and is leaking then the question that
comes to mind is.....is the switch(being part of the brake hydraulic system)
department of transportation (d.o.t.) approved?   it seems to me that an
aftermarket switch should pass some tests to be approved to be part of a
brake system in order to be sold with that aplication in mind?   so what has
gone wrong?

chuck.
well this ought to stirr up some joyfull holiday banter???
back to my festively decorated holiday rock!  lol!....  :)