Re: A little help, please

To: William M Walters <billwalters2@juno.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A little help, please
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 10:01:28 -0600
At 11:40 AM 1/3/2001, William M Walters wrote:
>In the process of changing suspensions from a '73 Midget to a '59 Bugeye
>we have a couple of things we've come to not understand.
>  1.   We need to hone the cylinders on the front brake calipers.  The
>repair books say not to break the halves apart, but we can't hone them
>together.  Is there something we don't know about with this job.

Bill, Why do you feel you need to hone the _caliper_ bores. They don't do
any work. They are not a critical dimension. They do not need to be smooth.
They should be free of rust, and a good "hand job" with emery cloth would
do fine. You do want the seal and dust seal groove to be very, very clean
and for that I recommend some careful scraping with a dental type tool. You
do not need to split the caliper, and I encourage you to resist the urge.
Unlike wheel cylinders (and Dunlop calipers (Jags, etc)), the piston is the
smooth surface the seal works on. That must be perfect. I recommend new
pistons always. The bore in a wheel cylinder must be smooth, the piston in
a caliper must be smooth.
         And as to tube shock conversions, I'm against them for most
applications.
         HTH    Peter C