Re: Junkyard Wars was: Re: LBC conversion

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Junkyard Wars was: Re: LBC conversion
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 11:56:20 EST
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu writes:

<< On 1/4/01 8:50 PM, "James Kleemeyer" <jkk@adams.net> wrote:

 > hey, forget the cars, I'm gonna build me one of them there pumpkin cannons.
 > (maybe launch a few of the neighbors cats)
 >       Jim K >>

I had to get in on this discussion but first a little history.  I too am a
huge fan of Junkyard Wars, the British version.  I did however watch the new
series which it appears is now U.S. based and the verdict is still not out on
this new season.

Regarding the French hurling machine the "Trebuchet," there is in fact an
organization called "The International Hurling Society" which was inspired by
the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail, (one of my personal favorites).
Started by two Texans (wouldn't you figure), and their ultimate goal is too
is to be able to hurl a cow, or cow sized object a quarter mile.

Anyway back to hurling pumpkins, unless you thought that this idea came out
of thin air you're wrong.  There is an annual "Punkin Chunkin Contest," held
I believe, in New Jersey since '86.  Contestants use both trebuchets and
large compressed air cannons (the two most popular styles) to hurl 8-10 lb.
pumpkins up to 2,700 ft., which I believe is the current record.  This record
was set by a compressed air machine with an on board computer and laser
guidance which had corporate sponsorship from Caterpillar Tractor. This I
think is a little too high tech for us LBC folk.

You can file this in the "for what it's worth" trivia category.

Cheers

Curt