Re: now wire wheels RE: Fw: UNDO torque

To: Spridget Mail List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: now wire wheels RE: Fw: UNDO torque
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 21:04:43 -0800
PAUL WRITES>> And this is the exact reason I don't own wire wheels. Too much
confusion and
> hammering. Like this thread! Bolt on a pair of normal wheels, set your
> impact gun to "stun" and drive off. <<

(...with stretched, weakened or broken wheel studs...)  I've never broken
off a wire wheel hub by overtightening one :-), or by adding wider tires.
New wire wheels and winged knockoffs in 1987 and not so much as a broken
spoke in 13 years and 60,000 some odd miles.  Oh, and one slightly deformed
lead hammer.  Sure is fun watching a rookie try to figure out where to put
his impact gun.  Then once I help get the wheel off, they try to find the
leak by putting the whole thing in the water bath.  "Tube, why do you have
tubes in them?"  Love taking advantage of Les Shwab's lifetime flat repair
and wheel balancing!

David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon