Re: Horn circuit?

To: Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Horn circuit?
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 11:26:51 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Mike Maclean wrote:

> I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to complete the
> circuit for the horn on my Bugeye.
>  I'm
> ready to run a wire from the bottom bolt of the brass pinion cover to
> one of the mounting bolts of the steering rack bracket.  That's not
> right.  Any ideas?

Mike

I have had this problem more then once. Especially when you paint
everything nice and purdy.
On one Bugeye I did just what you said, run a separate ground from the
rack to the frame.
For a test, just try hooking up a temporary ground to the steering
wheel, if the horn blows, you found the problem.
The 67 I am working on had this same problem. After a few miles of
driving, the steering column ground magically came back all by itself.
The rack *should* ground where it bolts to the frame, but it's mounted
on rubber gaskets. I ran a small wire from the grease nipple to the rack
bolt (tastfully done with black wire as not to be noticed) this did the
trick.

--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ