Re: oil filter flow

To: "Robert Sexson" <rsexson@excite.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: oil filter flow
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:02:32 -0000
Cc: <mgs@autox.team.net>
umm, i'll try this one?  pressure relief valve for the oil filter.   if
thefilter becomes so contaminated that oil will not flow through it any more
the valve will bypass the filter, keeping oli still flowing in the system.
unfiltered, but flowing.   if there were no sort of filter safety valve in
the system a filter can burst or rupture causing total loss of lubricant
with catastrophic results if the filter were to become completly clogged
with dirt.
this is not to be confused with the oil pressure relief valve on the right
side of the a series engine block.   that is a safety valve sort of item to
keep from damaging the engine from too high oil pressure in the entire
pressiuised section of the lubrication system.   as rpm's increase the oil
pump will increase it's attempt to generate more pressure.  this valve keeps
it from going past a predetermined  maximum pressure.   most find this
dificult to fathom but there is a point where oil pressure can actually
damage bearings, literally washing out the bearing material and cause
premature failure.  a case of where more is not a bad idea, but a whole lot
more is could lead to early retirement of an engine.   it is/was a common
practice to shim or stretch the relief valve spring to increase pressure.
not a bad idea but you really need to know what you are doing or you can
make more troubles than you barganed for by experimenting.

oops!  got rambling on here.  sorry!
chuck
back to my big rock that i belong under.