Re: LBC Related Questions

To: toyman@digitex.net
Subject: Re: LBC Related Questions
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 15:53:48 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, spritenut@Exit109.com
toyman@digitex.net writes:

<< what would
 be a good ballpark to expect to pay for a car similar to what I
 described (Frank, your price doesn't count since you always get your
 cars free)  >>

Brad, Frank and All

I have to agree with Frank on the $2500 limit if it needs everything.  After
years without a Sprite, my wife and I found our car, a Two owner 53K original
mile '60 Bugeye that was a very original car.  Stored since '82 but running
when they put it up, it had every thing to include all original mechanicals,
interior (still has the original rubber floor mats and the seats are very
good with no tears), and top, which other than a tear is still serviceable.
The car had a poor quality re-spray some years ago but other than that it is
virtually rust free and straight with the original chrome bumpers front and
rear.

I figured the car to be worth about $2500 to $3000 as it sat but the owners
had illusions that it was worth quite a lot more.  We finally got the car for
$3500, but the towing was free and I've gotten a lot of help with parts from
are local club members.  I will have about another $1200 into the car just to
get it running properly, i.e. all new brakes, hydraulics, cooling system,
tires, fuel system, etc.

The owners to this day feel we got the deal of the century since they think
that the car was worth close to $5000 and had it not been for my wife's
rapport with the owner, a woman who loved the fact that my wife had had a
Sprite as her first car, they would not have sold it.  I still feel that we
paid about $500 too much for the car but it now has a good home now and there
are no regrets.

Bottom line, don't get too emotional.

Curt Arndt
Carlsbad, CA