I reckon Bryan has it. Taking bets?
Check the choke cable, that may be getting hot too
and if it is, then BINGO!
(the earth path should be through a strap from engine to body)
----- Original Message -----
From "Bryan Vandiver" <bryan.vandiver at sun.com>
To: "Mike Maclean" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2001 5:24 AM
Subject: Re: Huh?
> This may be an obvious question, but you do have the ground strap
> connected that goes from the engine to the chassie, under the car???
> (not the one from the battery)
> If not, that would explain why it's putting so much current through the
> pull switch. If it is in place, you better check it for resistance.
> - Bryan
> Mike Maclean wrote:
> > Today I received a new (repro) starter switch for the Bugeye. I was
> > hoping that this would fix my problem with the overheating starter pull
> > wire. I had already rebuilt the starter, so I installed it tonight and
> > pulled the starter pull knob and watched the wire again. Well, guess
> > what boys and girls, it STILL gets hot! The only component left in the
> > starter circuit that is still in question is the negative cable from the
> > battery to the starter switch. I bought the cable from Norman Nock. I
> > was looking for a helmet head battery cable for the negative side.
> > After many calls, Norman's company in Stockton, California said they had
> > a repro. I ordered it and waited. When it arrived the darn thing was
> > too short. I went to the welding supply store and bought a length of
> > matching type cable. I added about 8 inches to the helmet head cable by
> > intertwining the separate wires beneath the outer sheath and sweat
> > soldering the whole mess together. I then just wrapped electrical tape
> > around the area. Not exactly concours, but I thought it would work
> > until I could find a longer replacement.
> > Does the resistance generated by this lousy connection have
> > something to do with the problem? The joint is between the battery and
> > the starter switch, the heat generated in the pull wire is on the other
> > side of the joint. Does that matter?
> > Unless someone tells me that my electrical surgery should not cause
> > a problem, tomorrow I will get a generic battery cable of sufficient
> > length and try again. There isn't much left to replace.
> > Mike MacLean-60 Sprite