Re: welding advice (kinda long)

To: Chris King <cbking@mail.alum.rpi.edu>
Subject: Re: welding advice (kinda long)
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 11:27:13 -0500
Cc: Spridget mail list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Chris -

For my money, I would (and did) go with the MIG (actually a convertible
wire-feed) welder.  For ease of use, ability to get a good weld with
little practice, flexibility, and ability work easily in confined
spaces, the MIG is the choice.

If you can't afford the MIG right now, buy a wire feed welder that can
be converted to MIG later (most can).  Use self-shielding wire and some
care and you'll produce good solid welds.

In case you don't catch on the difference between a wire-feed welder and
a MIG welder, here's the only real difference:
  The MIG welder floods the area of the weld with an inert gas (CO2,
Argon, or a mix) to keep oxygen away from the weld (MIG stands for
Metal, Inert Gas).  Great, but the gas can be expen$ive.
  A wire feed welder uses "self shielding wire", where the melting of
the wire itself releases gases that keep oxygen away from the weld (not
quite as effectively as MIG, but pretty darn good for most purposes).

The biggest functional difference is that a wire-feed welder is only
good for ferrous steel.  A MIG can be used on darn near anything, with
the correct wire and practice with the materials.

Chris Kotting (Who USUALLY signs "Chris K", but thought better of it
this time...)