welding advice (kinda long)

To: "Spridget mail list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: welding advice (kinda long)
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:03:15 -0500
As the weather gets warmer I've had some time to poke about the '79. It's
looking more and more like the floor panels and the rear of the trunk will need
to be replaced. It's a Big job, I know. But I really don't want to put new
seats in just to have them fall through the floor...

Most of the rot on the floors is out toward the sills, perhaps the first two
inches in, except for the passenger's side which has a large hole in the
footwell. The footwells look like the had been fiberglassed some time in the
past.

I've got two sort of general questions.

1. Those of you who've done this, what type of welding setup would you
reccommend? I've done some looking aound, and there are places that sell small
ARC welders for around $100 and MIG welders for $250-$300. What's the
advantage/disadvantage compared to an oxy-acetylene or Mapp torch?

2. If you've done a trunk floor, did you have any problems keeping the rear
spring shackles aligned?

Opening a #10 can of worms,

-=Chris

Chris King   - cbking@alum.rpi.edu