Re: Looking for a Bolt!

To: chuckc@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: Looking for a Bolt!
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 16:19:07 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 3/2/01 12:04:21 PM Pacific Standard Time,
chuckc@attglobal.net writes:

<< The bolts in question appear to be 3/8 x about 20 tpi
 with rounded crests (I think) and a greater thread angle
 than on a US 3/8 nc bolt. <<

Chuck

First of all if it is a 3/8" bolt with 20 TPI it could very well be a BSF
(British Standard Fine).  They do sometimes appear coarse when compared to
SAE Fine/American Standard threads.

 >>I held it up to a 1/4x20 and the threads were the same
 per inch; I counted and got 15 threads on the
 3/4 inch bolt which makes about 20 tpi. Guess that
 makes it CEI (Cycle Engineers Institue/British Standard Cycle),
 right? Where I gonna find one of those? >>

Not necessarily, the modern CEI/British Standard Cycle threads are ALL 26 TPI
no matter what the bolt size is i.e. 1/4" through 1/2", it was only the older
Cycle threads that had 20 TPI.  Once again "British Tools & Fasteners" has
these (the newer Cycle threads with 26 TPI) but I doubt now that is what you
have.

>From what you describe (3/8" with 20 TPI and rounded crests and roots) my
money is on BSF since there is no other bolts that I know with these
dimensions.

Curt Arndt