Re: PC hardware question - No LBC

To: "Michael Weeks" <mweeks16@home.com>, <Daniel1312@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: PC hardware question - No LBC
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 16:53:20 -0500
Daniel's problem is the CPU fan. That doesn't have any affect on the hard
drive. But it does keep the processor cool. The power supply and other
chassis fans keep the rest cool. Some confusion may come up because a lot of
folks (and manufacturers) casually refer to the main box as the CPU, but if
you're in the guts of the PC and buying parts, CPU means only the processor
chip itself (e.g. Pentium II) You can get fans for hard drives, but I've
never come across any machines that had them as standard equipment, except
maybe big high density file servers. But replacing it is best - don't want
the CPU to burn out. Just make sure you get the right one for your
processor. And some CPUs with the same name come in different forms. Pentium
IIs may be "Slot 1" or "Socket 370" form, and need different fans. If you're
REALLY into wanting to know about PC cooling, do some web searching on
"overclocking" - running your CPU faster than the manufacturer intended.
There are some guys that will do about anything to push the most speed out
of a chip that was never meant to do it, and to do that they can come up
with some pretty outrageous cooling ideas.

Eddie