RE: A little controversy...

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: A little controversy...
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 21:27:10 -0600
I was about to ask pretty much the same question of the list.

My car was built on 9/18/61 per the BMIHT certificate
VIN is GAN1L2395 (No explicit model year designation back then)
It is titled as a '62. Makes sense if it was a US car. September is about
right for an early example of the following model year to be built. But, I
have been told it could correctly be called a '61.

I have seen model year lists for (post T-series) Midgets that start at both
'61 and '62. If there is such a thing as a '61 Midget, I imagine that I
could consider my car one, since I think serial numbers started at 1001.
(Making mine is only 1400 cars or so into the line.)

Why do I care, when none of this matters at 4000 RPM? Because in Minnesota
you can put "year of manufacture" plates on any car over 25 years old,
whether registered for normal road use or not. I have one "62-63" plate in
fair shape, and set of "61" plates in excellent shape. I'd much rather use a
"61" (don't need a front plate in this case, even for normal road use)
However, the state will make me submit evidence to get them to change the
title. Even though the rule reads "year of manufacture" they really mean
model year, so the title has to match the plates.

So, given that Midget production started in the summer of '61, can any
Midget be called a '61? If so, can I consider mine one, and what argument
might I use to get them to change my title? (besides the BMIHT certificate)
If it's way too much of a pain in the a$$ to get them to change it, I'll
just use the '62-63 plate, but it's worth a shot.

What say the historians?

Phil Vanner
Mk1 Midget

///