Re: 1500 Camshaft Offset keys

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1500 Camshaft Offset keys
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 20:05:37 -0400
Well I just got off the phone with my buddy and armed with the knowledge
that he should use the #2 valve to check the cam timing I am amazed to say
that the cam is spot on. I was given the info, from Ted Schumacher, that the
timing should open the intake 6 degrees BTDC. Well it turns out that the
timing, as installed with the stock timing marks is, ta da, 6 degrees BTDC.
My hat is off to Ted for doing such a bang up job on the cam regrind.

For those that are interested this is the TSI275-4 cam regrind from Ted
Schumacher at TS Imported Automotive (http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/).

Now all I gotta do is get a weekend to stuff the new motor in the Midget. I
had hoped to get it ready before the Spring MG vs TR Rallye, but it just
ain't gonna happen.

If anyone is interested, the Rallye is the 22nd of April. I am not sure
right now where it starts but it will be near Philly someplace. All are
invited, but only Philly MG Club and Del Val TR club members can win the
Lucas Cup (Which is in my home at the moment and hopefully will be there
again on the 23rd).

Larry

On 4/2/01 4:50 PM, "Larry Macy" <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu> wrote:

> Wow John, Thanks for checking this out. At this exact moment I am not sure
> if I need one. The problem is that on the 1500 there is no camshaft key, The
> only key is on the crank and most offset keys are designed for the camshaft.
> I spent several hours on Sat trying to time in the cam. I gave up in
> frustration. There were 3 of us supposedly knowledgeable folks in my buddy's
> garage at the time. After I left and was driving home it dawned on me that
> we were trying to set the cam timing of the intake valve using the #1 valve.
> Well if you would open the bonnet and then open your eyes you might notice
> that the # 1 valve is an exhaust valve. Can I spell DUH???
>
> I will be going back to see where the stock setup gets the cam timing. If I
> need a key I will send you the specs, Thanks again!!
>
> Larry

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.