Re: Hot Bugeye !!!

To: Robert Latham <Robert.Latham@Sun.COM>, Daniel1312@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hot Bugeye !!!
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 15:02:18 -0500
At 02:30 PM 5/15/2001, Robert Latham wrote:
> > There is a whole variety of things you can do to drop the coolant
> temperature
> > of a Spridget.  The one that seems to have the most dramatic effect is
> > replacing the thermostat with a blanking sleeve AND blanking off the
> bypass.
> > SNIP<
>Daniel,
>
>Without the car infront of me in the office ;-), I'm trying to work
>out what this will do. Removing the thermostat I assume will increase
>the flow of water as this is a restriction even when opened.
>The bypass hose comes off the entry to the water pump - so not sure what
>that will do by blocking it off, increase flow by pump ?
-----------
Robert,
         In Ron Soave's absence (I believe he is negotiating with the
Chinese that they should NOT target Toms River, NJ in any ballistic missile
tests), I will offer a partial reason that completely removing the 'stat
without a blanking devise will be counter-productive in curing an over
heating situation. If the water is allowed to flow too quickly, it doesn't
have time to either pick up the heat from the engine's iron, or dissipate
it  from the radiator. It is even possible that your gauge will read lower
giving you false security when in fact the engine is hotter.
         Mr. Soave's response would be far more lucid and riddled with
numbers, theories, and Delta Ts, but suffice it to say, go with Daniel's
recommendation.
         Good luck, stay cool.
         Peter C