Re: hidden stamped number

To: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: hidden stamped number
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:59:46 -0700
Cc: "Evangelos G. Makris" <egmakris@otenet.gr>, spridgets@autox.team.net
At one time, in the 1960's, all vehicles had a "secret" identification number
stamped by the manufacturer somewhere on the frame.  Location of the numbers was
not available to the police, but if we had an investigation of a vehicle that
had
all of the VIN's stripped or suspect, we could call in the National Auto Theft
Bureau.  An NATB investigator could come out, inspect the vehicle alone, and let
us know the number. The NATB also provided manuals to all police departments
that
pinpointed the location of all "non-secret" numbers, and listed all variations,
options, and colors for all vehicles sold in the U.S.

Buster Evans
Anaheim, California