Re: hidden stamped number

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: hidden stamped number
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:38:57 +0300
I think I have found out what the "hidden" stamped number is. On careful
study of the book "Original Sprite & Midget" by Terry Horler, on page
43, there is a single tiny picture showing the exact number location I
was talking about on a Frogeye. According to the author, this is not a
hidden number, just another body (tub) number stamped by the John
Thompson Motor Pressings, the people who manufactured the basic
monocoque tub.

That dealt with, I am planning to look into the following locations for
the second (and stamped) appearance of the chassis number (in my car's
case HAN8L...) because the MoT people won't accept it just being on a
riveted AUSTIN plate and will give me hell about it, I'm pretty sure:

a. front right shock absorber tower
b. front right passenger floor panel
c. in the vicinity of the front brake pipe union (4-way)

These are the possible locations mentioned in the above book, although
(c) was probably specified for the German market only.

If anyone knows of another location please let me know, as dealing with
our National Vehicle Registry files for a 1966 cars is a nightmare I
don't even want to think about. Never mind if all the other numbers
match (body, commission, differential, gearbox, even key FS..) Those
guys will certainly want to see a "stamped" chassis number, oh well...

Regards
Evangelos Makris
1966 Sprite Mk3, LHD