Re: OK, My Fuel Pump Isn't Awful

To: <Tomsaudi200@aol.com>, <DLancer7676@cs.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OK, My Fuel Pump Isn't Awful
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 07:53:42 -0400
Know the feeling. When we bought the 76, used, from a real MG dealer, we
drove it from Denver to Casper, WY. Stopped part way home to gas up. Drove
it home. The next morning the ex went to drive it and it wouldn't go. I
spent a week trying to figure it out to no avail. Well on Friday night I sat
with her and had her tell me what went on. She said. I went out and sated
it, when it was idling I came in to let it warm up, when I went back out -
no go. Well I had checked the gauge and it showed 1/4 tank. After finding
out that it had been running (something either I missed or she forgot to
mention) I went and rapped on the bottom of the tank. Yep dry as a bone.
Poured some gas in and away we went.

In this case the cause was a rather large dent in the bottom of the tank. It
was holding the float up to register 1/4 full. Drooped the tank, thumped
out the bottom and the gauge worked fine. And no, I did not try the match in
the tank, cover opening with had trick.

Larry

On 6/8/01 11:13 PM, "Tomsaudi200@aol.com" <Tomsaudi200@aol.com> wrote:

> Now, imagine how incredulous I was when my mechanic calls me this morning.
>
> "Hi Tom. The Midget is fine, it was just out of gas."
> "How is that possible? It was showing half a tankful."
> "Yes, I saw that two, but it was completely out of gas. We put in a tankful
> and it started right up. That'll be $12.00"
>
> What's happening here? When I picked up the car, it was showing a full tank.
> Does this mean when I am showing half a tank, it is in fact empty? Is this
> just a glitch, or will it work itself out?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Larry Macy
78 Midget