Re: Re[2]: New Jersey Inspection

To: w.gilroy@verizon.net, ptegler@gouldfo.com
Subject: Re: Re[2]: New Jersey Inspection
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 22:07:58 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
w.gilroy@verizon.net writes:

> In NJ if the car is older than 1980 it has to pass on the idle test
> and not the rolling road.  All vehicles must pass an idle test.  If it
> is 1980 or new, you must pass an idle test, but you can fail the
> rolling road if you can prove you spent $200 to fix the car.  That is
> subject to change at the end of 12-2001.

Here in Ohio, cars less than 25 years old have to pass E-Check every two
years, and this has become one of the things I hate most in the world!

First, I have never heard of a car newer than 6 years old failing the test.
According to the State of Ohio, my Audi is emitting air cleaner than that in
most large cities (Guess next time I go up to Cleveland, I should run a hose
from the tailpipe to the inside of the car -- the exhaust is allegedly
cleaner than air coming through the windows!)  Also, the Audi is awd and
cannot be tested on the drive axle roller equipment they use here, yet every
time I tell them not to put it on the rollers, they do and I have to go out
there and wave my arms to get their attention before the little rat-man who
runs the test punts the poor thing into the street!

Second, part of the test requires the tester to accellerate, then
decellerate.  My neighbor's ratty old Dodge van with 300K plus miles had no
rear brakes to speak of, and the tester could not make the car decellerate in
time, so they gave my neighbor an exemption rather than requiring new brakes
("Hey, we're not safety inspectors!").  My neighbor said he got in the van,
turned it on and watched the place disappear into a cloud of blue smoke as he
drove away!

Also, while we are wasting our time and money and tax dollars on this
emissions crap, Ohio has NO SAFETY INSPECTIONS for ANY CAR!  If you have a
title and it can pass emissions (or if it's over 25 and is exempt from
testing), you can get plates and drive any old POS you like!  No brakes?
Ohio doesn't care!  Frame rusted in half?  Ohio doesn't care!  No seatbelts?
Bald tires?  Ohio doesn't care!  Emitting more than 225 parts per million of
hydrocarbons?  Well, THAT won't be tolerated!

<rant mode off>

Chris Eck
59 Bugeye
59 TR3A