Re: Alloy Knock-offs?

To: <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>, <rbhouston@aol.com>, <clabaw@jpl.nasa.gov>, <derfman@eatel.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alloy Knock-offs?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:09:59 EDT
Sorry for not being specific.  Direct Tire in Massachusetts, and the national
chains the Tire Rack, Discount Tires and NTB advise that a 145 or 155 tire
should be used with a 4 inch wide wheel.  Direct Tire warns not to exceed a 165
on a 4 inch.  175s are fine on 5 inch rims, but they will typically interfere
with the body work which is also dangerous.

In SCCA racing (solo and road racing) I have seen 175 and 185 tires on 3.5 and
4 inch rims slice, deflate, disintegrate and roll over.  I have also seen
accelerated, uneven wear across the tread.  I do not believe the 3.5 is allowed
in road racing any longer, but I may be wrong. Based on my own observations and
the advice of the various retailers, I would not put a 175 on a 4 inch rim.

Naturally, if your manufacturer says it works and stands behind it, then go
with it.  Who is the manufacturer?  I have not seen any 4 inch steel or alloy
wheels currently advertised for the sprites, and I would be interested in
learning about them.  Of course you may be talking about wire wheels which came
in 4 inch width from the factory and are still available.  Wires are not
allowed in road racing, except in some vintage classes.  If you have wires, I
am surprised the manufacturer said 175 was ok.  They certainly weren't approved
when the cars were new.  Please write back as I am considering 5 inch alloys
for my bugeye so I can move up to 165 or 175s.

Regards,
Bill