Re: Brake pads

To: DLancer7676@cs.com, davriker@pacbell.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake pads
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:28:47 -0500
Axxis Metal-Masters is the new name for Repco Metal-Masters. Repco is an
Australian manufacturer of many parts... brakes being a large part of their
business. (Something led to the name change a few years ago. I can't recall
the details, but it's the same stuff)
         They are an extremely high quality brake pad. I think they are
about the best you can buy. Metal pads may not be appropriate for your
driving, however. They *can* take a while to warm up to give a reliable
stop. Axxis also make an organic version of the pad. It's about driving
style, heat transfer, etc. My understanding is the high metal content
requires better heat dissipation. Modern car manufacturers specify metal or
non-metallic pads based on weight transfer, heat transfer, vented v.
non-vented rotors, rotor metallurgy, voodoo. Car makers specify different
compounds from one year to another, even though calipers and rotors are the
same! Go figure! All I can say is try them.
         David, the pad stick-on shims work OK. Better than many of the
spray on compounds. Check that the foil and glue can take the high temps.
But, Spridgets rarely suffer the kind of brake noise these are designed to
stop. Now Volvos....... If you get brake squeal from your Sprite, I suggest
looking for a problem.
         Hope this helps.
         Peter C (no relation)
=====