Re: Tire pressure monitors (No LBC)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire pressure monitors (No LBC)
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 01:18:09 EDT
Having dealt with this very recently I thought I'd chime in.
It was described to me by someone who may or may not know exactly how it is
accomplished so FWIW...

Each wheel has an ABS sensor trigger and pickup unit. Detecting a difference
in rotational speed between one wheel and the other three caused when a
significant amount of air has escaped will trigger the low pressure light. So
putting a mini spare or a tire with a different diameter than the others
would activate the system, which will "reset" itself after the problem has
been resolved. (eventually)
Any car with electronic ABS already has most of the needed "hardware"
installed, so it would only require one more "little black box" added to the
ABS electrics to monitor the tire pressures. I can see how that would
probably be a 45$ "plug in" option.

Anyone heard differently?
Gary
two 75's a runnin'