Re: MG GM alt. Purists hit delete! Drivers read on.

To: Fred Pixley <fpixley@kingston.net>
Subject: Re: MG GM alt. Purists hit delete! Drivers read on.
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:34:45 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi,
I could have replaced the single bad diode for about 50 cents.  Actually, I
could have cut out the bad diode (it was obvious which one was shorted) and
the thing would have still worked.  It was putting out 13.4 volts. But, for
how long?  A 30- year old anemic alternator has served its time.  But, once I
add extra driving lights, stereo equipment, etc., I'll want the extra power
from the alternator.  Anything can be repaired with a little patience.  Some
things can be improved with a little ingenuity.
Cheers,
Derf