Re: MG GM alt. Purists hit delete! Drivers read on.

To: Fred Pixley <fpixley@kingston.net>, "Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, derfman@eatel.net
Subject: Re: MG GM alt. Purists hit delete! Drivers read on.
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:51:32 -0700
> >The GM alternator is on.  It cost about $50-60 and about 2
>
> For about half that amount, and the same time in labour you could have
> soldered in a new diode pack (rectifier) .  I'm not a total purist, but a
> Lucas alternator can be repaired with a little patience.

That's same labor the first time.  But since all Lucas electical parts are
now made in India, it is my experience that the failure rate is over 50%.
So factor in labor the second time, and the wait for  the parts to arrive,
and the cost of the second pack, because, after all, electrical parts can
not be returned once installed... And the maximum output from the Stock
alternator is what, 35 Amps tops?  GM is the way to go.

David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon
70 Torino