Re: MG GM alt. Purists hit delete! Drivers read on.

To: Spridget Mail List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG GM alt. Purists hit delete! Drivers read on.
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:18:00 -0700
Trevor wrote:  >   Obviously I speak mostly for Canada, that's where I
> live, but it's a fairly valid test country because it's
> pretty much a country without a serious domestic car
> company.
>
>   So... all cars are imports here. There is no illusion of
> "buy local" or "scrap that foreign junk", people just
> buy what they want and what is priced right. A level playing
> field, if you will.

In other words, since all of the cars are imports, the possibility of
finding common replacement parts on the shelf or wrecking yard for any make
or brand  in Canada is next to nil!

One of the top reasons that Datsun transmissions, GM alternators, tube
shocks are a popular switch is availability. Hence, the datsun transmission
here, but the ford transmission in England.   While each conversion (I'm
sure there are more) may remove some originality, and in some way update the
vehicle (why do you think no car built in the last 10 years has lever
shocks, points ignitions, or carburetors?) none can alter the flavor of
driving the spridget. (OK, maybe the 454 Chevy suggested would ruin the
flavor, kinda like Tabasco sauce on ice cream).
David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon
70 Torino