Re: Lucas Bullet Connectors! Aarrggh!

To: Bill L <pythias@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Lucas Bullet Connectors! Aarrggh!
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:46:54 -0400
Cc: chuck <chuckc@attglobal.net>, spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Bill L wrote:
>        you could use wire nuts.. easilly available.. but ugly.. lumpy.
>
>        oh yeah.. i am an electrician by trade..

  I don't think I would recommend wire nuts for automotive
use.

  They work well in houses, but these are not harsh environments
like cars. (vibration, temperature cycling, all the crap that
comes from being outside for years, did I mention vibration? ;>)

  As well, from my experience undoing DPO work, wire nuts
don't grab stranded wire nearly as well as solid house-grade
wire.

  Whenever I see two wires twisted together hanging in
mid air, I get the vague sense a wire-nut used to live
there.

  My first real job out of university was doing
ruggedized computers for harsh environments. Make
a computer, put it on a shaker table that beats the
crap out of, and then see what failed and try
to improve it, repeat ad-infinitum.

  Always an eye opener to see relatively solid looking
stuff fail after a fairly short blast of vibration.

  Although cars are much more common than aerospace
stuff, they are by definition "harsh environments".

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca