Re: ignition system upgrades

To: <Ajhsys@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ignition system upgrades
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 07:03:35 -0400
>> I'm considering an upgrade to my ignition system (74 1/2 Midget) which
>> is totally stock, not a single piece of which has been touched in 20
>> years (and 10,000 miles).  My plan is to start with a Lucas Sport Coil
>> and the Pertronix Electronic Ignition setup.
>>
>> My question is whether any of you think that any other bits aught to be
>> upgraded and/or replaced just because of age or because of some other
>> bottleneck that I'm not thinking about.  If you feel strongly about a
>>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Well, 10,000 miles is not very much for 20 years.  You ought to get out more,
> Mike!
>
> The plug wires are probably brittle by now.  Since you are upgrading, rather
> than trying to stay with original, I would put in a set of Bosch Platinum
> Plus Four plugs (order from Peter C.) and Magnecor wires (order on-line at
> www.magnecor.com).  Check the dist. cap and rotor for cracks and wear, but
> they should still be OK.
>
> I'm curious why you chose the Lucas coil over the one Pertronics makes.  I
> like to match manufacturers when possible.  If you have a problem, it is
> easier to deal with the company.
>
> You will be all set for the next 20 years.
>
> Allen Hefner
> SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
> '77 Midget
> '92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

Out of ignorance, what is it about the plugs and wires that you mentioned
that makes them the best to get?

I see what you mean by the matching of manufacturers point.  I'll keep that
in mind.  I only picked the Lucas sport coil because it seemed to be the
most simple upgrade of what I already have (Lucas Stock)--nothing more than
that.

Thanks for the hints.

Mike Gagne
74 1/2 Midget